The master silversmith
The master silversmith Francesco Cosio, is born in Messina in 1961. After achieved the diploma of master goldsmith at the Art Institute “E. Basile” in Messina, decides to create a laboratory, specializing in the technique of wax fusion and realizing, alongside the serial objects, also some unique pieces of estimated importance.
He is not a mere goldsmith, but a genuine artist, closely tied to his native land, on which draws inspiration for the realization of many of his works, telling, through his jewelry, the history of his hometown and Sicily . And from it , by combining the Sciacca coral, the Fiumedinisi silver and the Simeto’s amber , he manages to create jewelry that adorn any style of woman and thematic frameworks of not inconsiderable beauty. Because of these characteristics he has collaborated for many years, with a signature of the High Jewellery, making sculptures for International Awards, jewelry for cinema, theater and television dramas.
Dr. Maria Froncillo Nicosia
(poetess – writer)
- From 1990 to 2002 he collaborated with a signature of high jewelry, realizing all the RAI awards, cinematographic and theatrical jewels, unique pieces of sacred art and various international awards, as in 1992 the award “Bonino Pulejo”, delivered to Prof. Falzea, made of gold and silver and depicting the gate of the Municipality of Messina, where stands the ancient city motto “GRAN Mirci”.
- In 1991 he made a sculpture plaque in silver and gold depicting Sicily for the football player Totò Schillaci.
- In 1996 he realizes a double-faced silver medal in memory of the V-th International Conference for the regional committee of scientific research and nuclear structure of matter (University of Messina).
- In June 1996 participated in the exhibition of the goldsmiths of Messina, at Monte di Pietà.
- In August 1996 it takes place an exhibition on the theme of “Silver and gold in Messina: Refinement and tradition” in the town of Valdina with a parade of models wearing jewelry made by him.
- In August 1996, during the great annual celebrations for St. Eustochia, the artist has donated a silver monstrance , Ambrosian style, 30 cm high and weighing 1,300 grams, realizing it inspired by the painting of the Quagliata (1658) , placed on the high altar of the church of Montevergine (ME) respecting the mannerisms of those times.
- In 1997 he received the “Tindari” award for handicrafts, for his ability and farsightedness in the management of his creativity.
- In 1998 his jewels appear as fashion accessory, alongside the clothes of a designer in a fashion show in Piazza Duomo (ME).
- In 2000 participates in the art exhibition of antique and vintage items, held at the Grand Hotel Liberty of Messina.
- In 2002 he creates, on commission, a gold medal, chiseled by hand, delivered to the Pres. Of the Sicilian Region S. Cuffaro.Nel 2004 partecipa alla 5° rassegna “Arte Mare” tenutasi nei locali del Teatro V. Emanuele (ME).
- In 2005 he realizes, on commission, a monstrance of exquisite workmanship made of olive wood and silver.
- In June 2006 manufactures sculptures in silver for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Orthopedic Institute of Southern Italy (Ganzirri – Messina).
- In July 2006 realizes awards for the 30th anniversary of the Young Industrialists of Messina.
In December 2006 he receives the International Colapesce Award.
- In 2008 realizes and donates a votive candle for the 20th anniversary of the canonization of St. Eustochia Smeralda Calafato in which is represented Pope John Paul II and the Trinity.